Kerala Chief Minister, Pinarayi Vijayan in his tweet declared that the entire State will be under lockdown from May 8 to 16
The Kerala Government on May 6 announced a set of fresh guidelines to implement lockdown in an attempt to curb the increase and spread of Covid-19 pandemic in the State.
The restrictions which will be effective from tomorrow (May 8) will continue till May 16. In a tweet, the newly appointed Chief Minister, Pinarayi Vijayan said: "The entire state of Kerala will be under lockdown from 6 am on 8 May to 16 May. This is in the background of a strong second wave of COVID-19.”
While the CM declared the lockdown, the Chief Medical Officer of Kerala in his tweet reassured the people of the availability of the essential goods and services. “The CM requested the public to adhere to the guidelines issued regarding the lockdown. He assured the availability of essential articles/services and requested everyone's cooperation in curbing the spread of Covid-19."
Kerala lockdown from May 8 to 16 (Pic: Courtesy Twitter/@IndiaToday)
Following are the guidelines for the people of the State during this lockdown.
- Government of India offices, its autonomous and subordinate offices and public corporations shall remain closed. The exceptions to this rule are offices dealing with Defence, Central Armed Police Forces, Treasury, Public Utilities, Disaster Management, Power Generation and transmission units, Postal department and post offices, National Informatics Centre, Early warning Agencies, Food Corporation of India, Indian Meteorological Department, Doordarshan, All India Radio, Central Water Commission, National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Project (MPCS and EWDS works), Airport Authority of India, Airport, Seaport, Railways.
- All the offices of the Kerala Government, including its autonomous and subordinate offices and public corporations shall remain closed except those concerned with Health, Ayush, Revenue, LSGD, Food and Civil Supplies, Industries, Labour, Zoo, Kerala IT mission, Irrigation, Veterinary services, Social Justice Institutions, Printing, Insurance Medical Services. Other departments in the exception list are Police, Excise, Home Guards, Civil Defence, Fire and emergency Services, Disaster Management, Forest and prisons; District Collectorate and Treasury; and Electricity, Water Resources, Sanitation.
- Further, it has been instructed that all the above departments except those involved in Covid management shall minimise the staff requirements.
- Hospitals and all related medical establishments, including their manufacturing and distribution units, both in public and private sectors such as dispensaries, chemists and medical equipment shops, laboratories, clinics, nursing homes, ambulances etc. will continue to remain functional. The transportation for all medical personnel, nurses, para medical staff, other hospital services be permitted.
- Activities related to agriculture, horticultural, fisheries, plantation and animal husbandry activities shall be permitted with minimum movement of persons.
- All the commercial and private establishments will be closed except those shops including ration shops (under PDS) dealing with food, groceries, fruits and vegetables, dairy products, meat and fish, animal fodder, poultry and cattle feed, bakeries.
- District authorities should encourage and facilitate home delivery to minimise the movement of individuals outside their homes.
- All shops shall be closed by 7:30 p.m. p.m. except those connected with healthcare.
- Banks, insurance and financial services will be allowed to function from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. only for the public with minimal staff up to 2 p.m.
- Establishments connected with print and electronic media; cable service and DTH; telecommunications, internet services, broadcasting and cable services, IT and IT enabled services will be permitted.
- Industrial establishments will remain closed except for those manufacturing units of essential commodities; medical supplies; involved in exports to other countries.
- All roadways and waterways transport services will remain suspended. Air and rail services (except Metro) will remain operational.
- Private vehicles shall be allowed only to the extent of procuring essential commodities, medicines and for other activities permitted under this order and for persons travelling for vaccination against COVID-19 (showing their vaccination registration), movement of persons from other states /countries to destination from railway station and airport (with proof of ticket).
- Interstate road transport is allowed for goods and emergency services.
- Hospitality services will remain suspended except for hotels, home stays lodges and motels which are accommodating tourists and persons stranded due to lock down, medical and emergency staff, air and sea crew; establishments earmarked for quarantine facilities.
- All educational, training, research, coaching institutions etc. shall remain closed.
- All places of worship shall be closed for the public.
- All social /political /sports/entertainment/academic/cultural/religious gatherings shall be barred.
- In case of a funeral congregation not more than 20 persons will be permitted.
- In case of pre fixed marriages not more than 20 persons can be permitted with strict social distancing protocol. Advance intimation to the nearest Police station shall be given and details shall be entered in the covid19 jagratha portal.