indianarrative

Taliban attacks pushed back in Kandahar: Afghan official

51afbb17df052418e3f42e3eef9a765d-jpg

Taliban attacks pushed back in Kandahar: Afghan official

Kabul, Jan 8 (IANS) Taliban attacks on various parts of Afghanistan's Kandahar province in the last few weeks have been "pushed back" and the group has suffered heavy casualties, a senior security official said on Friday.<br /><br /><br />The attacks took place in the districts of Arghandab, Zherai, Panjwai, Dand, TOlO News quoted Farid Mashal, the security officer at the Kandahar Police Headquarters, as saying.<br /><br />He said that "698 Taliban fighters were killed in air and ground operations over the last month in the province".<br /><br />"Our operations are underway. We have had progress. We have established outposts in Zherai (district). We have good progress in Arghandab and Panjwai," the officer added.<br /><br />Kandahar residents said they were still concerned about the security situation in the province and that there was a need for large-scale operations in some parts.<br /><br />"The roads are closed to traffic. The government should pay attention to this matter," Ataullah, a resident of the Arghandab district, told TOlO News.<br /><br />"People are stranded due to the conflicts," said Shir Mohammad, another resident.<br /><br />Meanwhile, clashes were also reported in the neighbouring Helmand province, where residents and activists held a protest against what they described as foreign interference in Afghanistan's affairs.<br /><br />The Taliban had launched widespread attacks in Helmand and Kandahar over the last two months. <br /><br />The clashes have displaced thousands of families in the two provinces, according to officials.<br /><br />.