English News


One killed, three hurt as electric scooter battery explodes in Telangana’s Nizamabad district

One killed, three hurt as electric scooter battery explodes in Telangana’s Nizamabad district.(Photo for representation)

An 80-year-old man was killed and three of his family members injured when the battery of a Pure EV electric scooter being charged inside a home exploded in Nizamabad district of Telangana on Wednesday night. 

The man, identified as Ramaswamy, died after suffering burn injuries. His son Prakash, wife Kamalamma and daughter-in-law Krishnaveni suffered burn injuries while trying to save him.

Prakash had reportedly been using the EV scooter for one year.

The police have registered a case of causing death due to negligence against the manufacturer, Pure EV.

Pure EV issued a statement saying "We deeply regret the incident and offer condolences to the family of the victim."

The company claimed it has no record of sale of this vehicle or service by the user in their database and is checking if the vehicle was purchased through a second hand sale.

There is a huge concern rising about EV vehicles at a time when the government is actively promoting the idea but multiple incidents of accidents by fire have been reported.

Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari on Thursday said an expert committee will investigate accidents involving EVs.

He also said that the government will order manufacturers to voluntarily recall all defective EVs and heavy fines will be imposed on those who fail to do so.

"Several mishaps involving electric two wheelers have come to light in last two months. It is most unfortunate that some people have lost their lives and several have been injured in these incidents,” the minister said.